Volunteering is not only worthwhile in itself, for students it can be a valuable way to gain experience, qualifications, try out a potential career pathway and build an attractive CV. Most colleges and universities and indeed employers, value volunteering experience by students or potential employees and many assign credit for both time spent and academic work derived from such “real world” experiences.
Most of all however, volunteering can be fun and rewarding in ways that you may not imagine.
We provide here links to opportunities that you may wish to explore. Go for it !
Volunteer where you live in England
Volunteer where you live in Scotland
Volunteer where you live in Northern Ireland
******** Volunteer for the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow here *******
Bigger ambitions? Join the VSO Youth for Development programme....
Youth for Development (YfD) is a one-year overseas programme that provides an opportunity for you to work with VSO’s partners in any one of over 40 countries. If you’re aged between 18-25 years old you can apply for a place on the programme.
YfD is a valuable experience for those interested in overseas development work, the promotion of international understanding and supporting VSO's development goals.
Reasons for doing YfD:
In joining the fight against global poverty you'll get the opportunity to:
- spend 12 months living and working with VSO partners in any one of the 44 countries where we work
- take ownership of the process by telling us where your strengths lie and letting us know how you would like the programme to contribute to your professional and personal development
- complete a Global Action project that will increase understanding of global issues, challenge stereotypes, and promote international understanding. The project begins in the UK, continues whilst overseas, and is completed upon return to the UK.
- fundraise £900 with the support of our Fundraising team – giving you a really good reason to tell your friends about what you're doing
- have the experience of a lifetime if you are up for the challenge!
In return VSO will:
- pay for your training, visas, travel, medical checks, injections, accommodation
- give you training and support to make sure you are fully prepared for your placement
- provide you with a modest living allowance while you are on your placement
- match you to a placement based on your skills and experience
- help you to identify and achieve your personal development goals as far as possible
- provide support when you return to the UK to help you to acclimatise, to provide career guidance and to explain the many opportunities there are for you to continue to work with VSO to fight poverty and disadvantage.
Take the big plunge........Volunteer overseas