There are three principal functions at play within each sport or recreational activity:
- Development and excellence programmes, which are driven through governing bodies and (in many cases) funded by grant-aid
- The membership-servicing businesses which are operated by governing bodies in exchange for membership fees
- Local activities driven by clubs and local/regional associations, and funded directly by members
- Governing bodies are presiding over a growing business – as is evidenced by the increases in membership. This growth, however, does come at a cost, as expenditure must be increased to keep pace with it, as are the levels of commitment and responsibility imposed upon those who lead the organisation. Elected officers and Board members are invariably unpaid and carry an extensive burden, both in terms of time and responsibility. This applies at all levels throughout the governing body - national, regional, county, league and club.
- The value of volunteer support is not included in any of the financial assessments. The most recent assessment places this at £1,400,000,000 per annum. It represents an enormous additional resource provided to sport and in many organisations far outweighs the total level of direct funding from all sources.
Editor's comments - [ All organisations in membership of CCPR were invited to provide a copy of their most recent accounts. Sixty NGBs/NSOs did so, of which 46 were analysed in accordance with a standard template in order to enable comparisons between organisations. Many of the members of CCPR also provided copies of their most recent Annual Report, which supplemented the information obtained through the interview process. 14 National Governing Bodies / National Sports Organisations were identified for in-depth analysis. Face-to-face semi-structured interviews were arranged and conducted with representatives of each of these organisations. ] Reference this?Cryer, J. (Year). This page title in italics. Retrieved date, from <this page's full URL>
In the text: Cryer (year)
Reference : Welch, M. (2007). NGB Funding : An analysis of the funding profiles of National Sports Organisations. Leeds: CCPR
The above reference is in the APA style: See why this is important in our [how to reference] us guide.
Download this document [Use of this document may be limited by © copyright ; by downloading you consent to our terms and conditions ]