The position of women in employment within the sports sector has been a neglected area of research. The Sporting Chance for Women report aims to make a contribution to filling this research gap by reporting new research findings about women’s work and careers in the sports sector, focusing specifically on the situation in the North East of England.
The main objectives of the study on which the report is based were as follows:
- To provide contextual information about the structure of female employment within a sample of commercial and public sports sector organisations in the North East region.
- To identify the key barriers women encounter in entering sports occupations and progressing up career ladders.
- To explore the extent of the opportunities for training and continuing professional development open to female employees in the sports sector.
- To identify any current examples of good practice within sports organisations in the region that enhance women’s career development opportunities.
- To make recommendations for practical action to improve the position of women in employment in the regional sports sector.
Editor's comments - [ This report presents the findings of a study funded by ONE North East via the European Social Fund. The study was carried out in partnership with Sport England, North East Sport, the North East Regional Assembly, Womens Sports Foundation, the Health Development Agency and the Tyne and Wear Learning and Skills Council. These organisations were also represented on the project steering group.
The research was undertaken by researchers at the Centre for Urban and Regional Development Studies (CURDS), a multi-disciplinary research centre based at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne. The research team was lead by Dr Vicki Belt and Cheryl Conway, with research support provided by Stuart Dawley and Jane Bradley. The fieldwork was conducted between February and June 2003. ] Reference this?Cryer, J. (Year). This page title in italics. Retrieved date, from <this page's full URL>
In the text: Cryer (year)
Reference : Belt, V. Conway, C. (2003). A sporting chance for women: A study of the career opportunities for women in the sports sector in the North East of England. Newcastle: University of Newcastle upon Tyne
The above reference is in the APA style: See why this is important in our [how to reference] us guide.
Download this document [Use of this document may be limited by © copyright ; by downloading you consent to our terms and conditions ]